home
medicard patient financing

Will plastic surgeons do a tummy tuck on an overweight person

Home Forums ASK A PLASTIC SURGEON A QUESTION Will plastic surgeons do a tummy tuck on an overweight person

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Dr. Wayne Carman Dr. Wayne Carman 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tigerwatcher
    tigerwatcher
    Participant

I would like to know if a plastic surgeon would do a tummy tuck on me, even though I am very overweight. I have been carrying around a large apron of fat & skin on my lower abdomen, ever since I had my 2 children. My youngest is now 29 years old.
    My body never bounced back after my pregnancies and I have never been happy or comfortable in my own skin since then either. I’ve never been able to lose much weight because of arthritis and other health problems & pain. The apron causes excess sweat to build up, I get painful rashes and I hate seeing myself in this body, or letting anyone else see me looking this way.
    I am now almost 60 years old and I just want to live out the rest of my life without this “ball & chain” that makes me uncomfortable, keeps me obese, depressed, and unhappy.
    I would like to know if I could get a tummy tuck & if OHIP would cover it or not? This extra fat & skin cause me to struggle with mental health issues & a huge lack of self esteem on a daily basis. I want to feel good about the way I look and I would feel SO much better with a much flatter stomach.
    Please help.
    Thank you

Dr. Wayne Carman
    Dr. Wayne Carman
    Participant

Body shaping procedures on someone who is far above their ideal weight have significant limitations. Treating the abdominal area is possible if symptoms such as skin irritation and recurrent infections are a problem. OHIP has never covered tummy tuck surgery. A tummy tuck is considered a cosmetic procedure and is done for appearance, not for symptomatic relief.

The confusion arises when patients refer to a tummy tuck but really are describing a panniculectomy. The latter procedure is basically an amputation of an overhanging abdomen (called a pannus). It is not designed with appearance as a primary concern. OHIP may approve a panniculectomy procedure based upon symptoms. Unfortunately, diminished self esteem is not a factor in any decision by OHIP. Approval of a panniculectomy would depend upon a review by OHIP of an application submitted by your surgeon. If approved, the procedure is done in hospital.

For more reading about Tummy Tucks and weight/BMI please go to

What is my BMI and why should I care?

Are Tummy Tucks covered by OHIP?

Does OHIP or other Provincial Health Plans cover Tummy Tuck Surgery?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.