home
medicard patient financing

I am in desperate need of help

Home Forums ASK A PLASTIC SURGEON A QUESTION I am in desperate need of help

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Dr. Wayne Carman Dr. Wayne Carman 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kimberly247
    Kimberly247
    Participant

Hi, I am a chain smoker. I smoke at least seven cigars a day. I am planning to have breast augmentation from Toronto. My surgeon says that I should quit smoking at least five weeks before the surgery for her to operate on me. I managed to reduce the count of cigarettes but am not able to completely quit smoking. Will smoking really have any impact on the cosmetic surgery procedure? Can someone please explain how smoking affects the healing procedure? How can I stop smoking before taking the procedure? I am in desperate need of help. I feel so lost. Please advice.

Dr. Wayne Carman
    Dr. Wayne Carman
    Participant

It has been proven that smoking reduces blood flow by constricting small blood vessels. Healing depends upon having optimal circulation in the area of surgery so reducing it by smoking can compromise healing and increase the risk of infection. The effects of one cigarette can last up to eight hours so cutting back isn’t really that helpful. Cigars are not generally inhaled as much but the general effect is the same. Smoking also contributes to a more risky anesthetic so the advice to quit smoking is sensible. Surgery can be performed on smokers but the risks of complications are definitely higher. There are many approaches to quitting including the use of prescription medications, acupuncture, hypnosis, nicotine substitutes and others. It’s never easy but it’s well worth doing.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.